Saturday, August 4, 2007

Hi, my name is Trenda Poulter and I am a READER!

Throughout my life I have NEVER been what you would call, a "reader". I don't think I ever read a novel, cover to cover until I had a children's literature class in College. What about all the assigned reading throughout High School, and other college classes? I faked my way through it! I read movies, I skimmed really well, and skipped pages, I looked at Cliff Notes, I talked to others who had read it, etc. At the time I didn't think much of it, but now I will admit it, I basically cheated! Anyway, when I had Cade almost three years ago, the first "Work and the Glory" movie came out, and I wanted to know what happened next! Since I was nursing Cade, and therefore sitting around a lot, I decided to start reading the second volume in the series, and I loved it! Since then, I have read every volume in that series, which are waaaaaay better than the movies . . . they don't even compare! I've also read a series called, "Children of the Promise" by Dean Hughes, and just recently finished another series by Dean Hughes, "Hearts of the Children". Throughout the last few years I have also read other novels here and there (most, courtesy of Lindsay . . . thanks again), and I think I would call myself a "reader" now! Weird! If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would read all these books for my own personal enjoyment, and actually like it, I would have laughed in your face! Anyway, about these two series by Dean Hughes, they are about an LDS family (Thomas Family). The first series takes place in the 40's, during World War 2, and the second series is about the same family in the 60's, during the Vietnam War. Throughout all these books, of course I really got to know these characters, and would think about them throughout the day and wonder what was going to happen and if they would be ok, etc. Now that I am done with the series, I am having with drawls! I feel like some of my good friends have moved away, and they are not keeping in touch with me! It looks like I need to find some new books/friends and get to know them! Any recommendations? I really like Historical Fiction, if you haven't guessed! My favorites are about the wars, church history, and the Holocaust. I dont' feel like I am wasting quite as much time if I am learning thing as well. . . don't get me wrong, now and then, I do like fictional novels as well.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Start the Harry Potter books! Those'll keep you occupied for awhile! ;) I really should start reading the Children of the Promise again and finish it this time! Maybe after I finish the other couple little books I have lying around. I never read much during my teen years (a little here and there), but I'm totally a reader now!! Of course you know that already, though! ;)

Alisha said...

Welcome to the club! I LOVE reading. I used to shove a towel in the crack under my door as a teenager so my parent's couldn't see my light on when I couldn't put my book down. I also used to spend my Christmas Breaks in college reading like 10 novels. I occasionally would spend all day reading; only getting up to go potty, eat, or move chairs. I LOVE to read! When you run out of stuff, try Nicholas Sparks. He wrote the Notebook and Message in a Bottle, etc... I can't read too many in a row because they can be mushy but they're quick reads and good stories. Have fun!

Alisha said...

Oh, I failed to mention that even though I am a reader, I also did what you did in high school English; Cliff Notes, Movies, skipping pages, etc... basically cheating! :) I was the same with piano lessons (which is why I took lessons for 10 years and can barely play); I only like to do things I pick for myself!

Weston & Jennie said...

I have always been a reader and probably always will. And, like you have Palmer's bookstore to thank for feeding my addiction. I always feel like that when I finish a really good book or series. It is kindof sad. You are not alone!

Lindsay said...

Trenda, I appreciate you trying to boost my self-esteem by leaving 5 of the same comments on one blog entry for me! LOL!

Trenda said...

Lindsay, no problem, I do what I can!

Lisa Bird said...

Trenda, If you want historical fiction and war How about that classic "Gone With the Wind" It's a great read and a bit different from the movie.