Saturday, June 9, 2007

"Mr. Mom!"

Yesterday, since my husband had the day off, he volunteered to watch the kids while I went to work (substitute teaching). He has done this a couple times in the past, when we just had Cade, but I think this is the longest he has watched both of the kids. I left at 7:00Am, and arrived home at 2:30PM, which isn't too long, but if your not use to watching kids all day, I guess it could feel long! When I got home, he was in our bedroom laying on the bed, with a pillow over his face and ears. Jokingly, he removed the pillow and said, "I can't handle it anymore." He then proceeded to say, "I think I finally get it! I think I finally get how you feel everyday." I then said, "Maybe a little, but in order to really know, I need to leave again, and not come home until 6:00PM, and you need to have dinner ready for me, and then I will leave again at 7:00 and you can give the kids baths, get their pajamas on, brush teeth, read stories, sing songs, and put them to bed, oh, and try to have all of that done by 8:00. . . then you can relax, that is of course if they will go to bed when you put them to bed." Of course, that is not what happens everyday (only when there is a big test the next day). When there isn't a test, or a lot to do at school, Craig is really very helpful around the house and with the kids! Some other quotes from Craig yesterday were:
  • "It takes so much work just to try to keep these kids alive (feeding them, changing them, etc.) I could barely get anything else done around here."
  • "I don't know how many diapers I changed today. . . a lot!"
  • "I've been picking up toys all day long, and they keep coming back . . . where do they keep coming from."
  • "I need a nap . . . I am exhausted!"
  • "I thought I was going to be able to take it easy and relax now that I don't have a lot of school, but being a parent is way harder than being a student!"

My favorite quote from my husband all day has to be that last one! I can't believe after all these years, he is just realizing some of this! I think I need to work and leave him home to be Mr. Mom more often! LOL!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I LOVE IT!!!! It always makes me laugh when people without kids ask me, "what do you do all day?" I always smile and say, "oh, I stay pretty busy." Maybe everyone should have a day of being Mr. Mom!

Trenda said...

I agree! And then, I think all of us girls should have a "girls" weekend and have our hubbys try two days and an over nighter without us!

Leslie said...

Oh my word...this is hysterical! All husbands should have this experience at least once.

Melissa said...

That is so funny. Sometimes I wonder, Does Ivan even know how much work it takes just to keep the kids alive? Craig finally gets it! :) Well, at least partially. Being a mom is so draining, but getting those little hugs and kisses seem to erase any pain involved in the process

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Aaron plays Mr. Mom quite a bit in our house and he seems to hold it all together pretty well, which is the annoying part. :oP

Weston & Jennie said...

I like the whole "girls" weekend bit. Just to give them a real taste of stay-at-home-parenthood. And alittle alone time. :)

Unknown said...

I love your blog site. I visit regularly and almost always LOL when I read your latest blog. "Mr. Mom" was especially great. It reminds me of a story about a man who came home from work to find kids playing outside, dirty and still in pajamas, and all kinds of messes outside and all over inside the house. He goes upstairs to find his wife still in bed reading a novel. He asks her what is going on and she tells him, "You know how you ask me what I did all day when you get home? Well, today I didn't do it."