Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Go BYU!!!

When Craig and I were first dating and going to school at BYU-Idaho, we would frequently make the 3 1/2 hour trip to Utah to visit his family on the weekends. There was usually some reason, weather it be a farewell, a baptism, a baby blessing, General Conference, etc. It didn't really matter the reason, we were just excited to get away from Rexburg for a while and spend some more time together away from school. I remember one particular time we went to Utah and went to the BYU vs. University of Utah football game. I went willingly, not thinking a whole lot about it. I do remember, however, that I was wearing a red shirt and Craig very kindly told me that I couldn't wear that shirt. Apparently it was the OTHER teams colors and it would have been very bad if I wore it while sitting in the BYU stands! Oh, silly me, I should have thought about something like that! I graciously changed into a blue shirt, and off we went. BYU lost that game and I remember the other team going crazy after the game. They were running around, yelling, dumping ice on the coaches, and they even broke down BYU's goal posts and were carrying them around chanting something! Wow! I knew there were big fans out there, but this was a little too much. I just didn't understand what the big deal was! I mean, it is only a game . . . right!

Now, 5 years later, I am beginning to understand! BYU has a huge rival! Yes, that rival is The University of Utah! I just assumed all my life that if you were Mormon, you were a BYU fan. Well, apparently I was very wrong! Here in Salt Lake City (which is where the U of U is located), you are either a BYU fan or a U fan . . . you can't be both! According to stories I've heard from Craig and others around these parts, if your team loses the BIG game, you don't hear the end of it for weeks from people at church, school, work, neighbors, etc. So, yes it is a BIG game and a BIG deal! I am starting to get it! As much as I can really get that kind of thing, but you know what I mean. :)

So, the BIG game was on Saturday, and BYU won! They were losing, with like a minute and a half left, and then they got a touch down and won by like 5 points! I am not a huge sports fan, but I did watch most of this game and it was very exciting and a very good game! I hear they won last year in the last couple minutes of the game too (I missed that game some how)! Hopefully they will keep it up!

Of course our kids couldn't get left out of the BYU spirit . . . here they are, sporting the BYU shirts that Craig had his brother get for them from the BYU Book store!

Here is Cade in his shirt, having a Toy Story Party with all the guys from Toy Story. Between the toys my mother in law has, and our toys, there are probably around 12 buzz characters, and can you guess what Cade wants for Christmas? A big Buzz toy!! I keep telling him that he already has enough, but he seems to feel differently. . . silly kid!!

8 comments:

Weston & Jennie said...

We never made it to the game. My brother's brother-in-law tried to get tickets, but apparently because it was Thanksgiving weekend BYU thought that there wouldn't be many students and so they gave their tickets to UVSC or whatever it is now. Not to smart from what I understand there was a huge uproar from the students and they said that they will never do that again. Anyway, we were able to watch it. Good game. One of the better ones that I have watched.

Diane said...

The past two BYU/Utah games we have spent traveling. This year we had to call from the Dallas airport to get the final score. Gee...they've won both games...maybe that means we should travel each time they play each other. Wish we could have watched it. We would have loved watching it with our family in Utah who happen to be Ute fans. I can't understand it either! By the way...I think you're pretty darn interesting. I love reading your blog!

Michelle said...

You lucky duck! I miss BYU games so bad! Now that we are not in school we don't have any reasons to be in Utah during football season. All our relatives are elsewhere.

Rebecca said...

Hey Trenda, Well your old apartment misses you too. Jared called me Trenda Poulter the other day, because between the douple stroller park right outside our apartment and the swing hanging in our sliding glass doorway I guess I have taken on your identity since you have left. I hope you don't mind =). Well we really do miss you guys. It just feels so weird not having you guys around. I hope you are having fun up there and at least I have your blog to look at to keep in touch with you, Take Care

Jessica said...

Very cute. I love the BYU garb. We are very jealous and can't wait to be up their watching the games.

Robin and Stephenie said...

I love love love your back ground please tell me how to fix it to something cute.

Dashley said...

Hey Trenda! Enjoyed the BYU post! BYU has another rival- the University of Wyoming! That is who I root for even though BYU seems to kill them every time. I vote for BYU when they aren't playing UW. On my blog there is a funny BYU/Wyoming video. Its called "Cowboy Marshall says, "Go Pokes!" Check it out sometime! :)

Carrie Anne said...

Oh that's awesome! They do look so cute in their BYU shirts, though. They are very darling!