Saturday, November 17, 2007

A few things I've learned in the past two weeks . . .

  • I have to use a lot more lotion in Utah than in California.
  • So do my kids . . . we very rarely used it before.
  • My husband and I are very different when it comes to what kind of weather and climate we prefer.
  • My joints in my knees don't like cold weather! We have something in common!
  • It's a lot more difficult and time consuming making dinner for 10 people than it is for two.
  • It's very nice makin dinner only two nights a week, rather than every night of the week.
  • It's a lot noisier with 10 people around the house than it is with 4 people.
  • Especially when most of those people practice the piano and another musical instrument regularly.
  • When my kids throw up, they will throw up again right after the first mess is cleaned up.
  • They prefer to do this throwing up thing all night long, rather than during the day when I am not trying to sleep.
  • At least they decided to do this on different nights, two days apart.
  • When one person gets sick, everyone else will too. Luckily it hasn't hit me very hard (knock on wood).
  • My kids are very entertained with all the people around, which is nice in a lot of ways, but not when I am trying to get them to wind down before bed time.
  • My mother in law has more energy than I do! She never sits down! I wish I could be more like that!
  • I really need boots, warm nylons, a new ski jacket, thick socks, black winter dress shoes, and more warm sweaters!
  • Cade is obsessed with creative play and ALWAYS wants me to be some character!
  • Ambree's favorite word to say is, "No." Probably because that's the word she hears me say to her the most!
  • I love having a yard for my kids to play in!
  • It's very nice being able to go out after the kids are asleep and having people there just in case they wake up.
  • I am considered a "Licenced Teacher" when I sub here and get paid more than I expected!
  • When you put your bed over the heater vent, the room doesn't get that warm!
  • When you get an old car that only costs $2,500 it will probably start smoking after a long drive from Calif. to Utah, and will cost over $600 to repair.
  • Of course the car will still smoke on the way home from the mechanic after they "fixed it".
    So, you take it back a few days later, and of course it doesn't smoke at all the whole way there, or when they test drive it, but it does when you are almost home!
  • It cost's a lot of money to rent a U-haul!
  • It cost's a lot of money for gas to get a U-haul to Utah from California!
  • It cost's a lot of money to get a crown on your tooth when your insurance doesn't cover it
  • It cost's a lot of money to pay for repairs, a paint job, carpet cleaning, etc. when you move out of Las Palmas Apartments.
  • Although, it would be nice to have our own place, it is really a blessing to live here while Craig is finishing up school, so we can save money.
  • We were hoping to save money while we lived here and use it for a down payment on a house, but it looks like we will be using it for all the expences above instead!
  • I guess I gotta have faith that it will happen someday . . . huh!
  • Oh, and last but not least, I think this is proof that Ambree and Cade might actually love eachother, even thought they do fight quite often!

13 comments:

Weston & Jennie said...

This sounds alot like my first move. Right down to the car expenses and everything. One difference, I get paid less here than in Cali. by a significant amount, and, I was here during the summer.

Melissa said...

You are so funny. Darlin, it isn't even cold yet. But I'm with you on the warm weather thing. Nothing makes me grumpier than going out into the snow, especially with kids you have to bundle and unbundle. At least it hasn't snowed yet. We need to get together!

Jenna said...

I don't miss the snow! Good luck! What an adventure.

Carrie Anne said...

Love the list! Boy can I relate to so many things on that list! Excited to see you and the other gals on Tuesday! It should be a lot of fun to catch up!:)

Robin and Stephenie said...

that picture at the end makes it all worth it huh. they are so cute! I also hate moving and it is so hard to live with people. we will be moving in with my family in may until we get our house finished!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Why does it seem like when it rains it pours with the "unexpected expenses?" I remember Aaron and I kept getting all these random things coming up that were costing $$$ and we looked at each other at the same time and said, "Have we sent off our tithing check?" That's the only sure-fire way to survive, I've learned.

Leslie said...

Oh Trenda, you sure have learned a lot of things! You are gonna be so smart by the time Craig graduates! Isn't life crazy? I am positive you will look back on this time as a great period in your life, but it's rough to get through! We miss you!

Emily said...

Ok... I want to know about the Las Palmas expenses. Did you just lose your deposit or did you have to pay them more?

Trenda said...

Emily, in Las Palmas you don't put down a deposit. We didn't at least. Did you? In the end we got a bill in the mail for $441. That included the repair for our glass closed door that my lovely child broke that cost around $150! We didn't do a whole lot of deep cleaning or anything, so I think that is pretty standard!

Trenda said...

Umm, that is supposed to say closet door if you didn't get that!

Dashley said...

Trenda! Sounds like you have had a lot of excitement. Hopefully things will settle down, eh? I didn't know you were living with your in-laws. I hope that is going well for you! Good luck with every thing else. :)

Emily said...

weird... we had to pay a deposit! I think it was only $75 though. Now I'm curious if anyone else had to? I can't believe you had to pay that much!

Becky Mutter said...

OH MY Goodness, Trenda! That's a lot of "life experiences" for just two weeks! It's funny how life can just pile them on! Well, it's funny LATER. I have always wondered why things that don't kill us and make us stronger have to be so HARD!
You guys look so cute and it sounds like you are creating some great memories along the way.