Thursday, April 3, 2008

April Fools Day!

Growing up, we never did much for April Fools Day. Just the occasional, "there's a spider on your head" comment, or something similar. This month in the Family Fun magazine I noticed this Shepherd's Pie, that looks a lot like choc. pie, with strawberry cream on top! It is actually a meat mixture with seasonings, BBQ sauce, onions, etc. and the top is mashed potatoes, colored with blended up beets (I'm sure you could use food coloring instead). Anyway, since I was in charge of dinner on April Fools Day, I decided to make this. Initially I think people were a little confused, but they seemed to catch on. Cade on the other hand really thought we were having choc./strawberry pie for dinner (he obviously doesn't know me that well). He took one bite, spit it out and said, "this isn't pie." We all laughed, but he didn't think it was funny at all and refused to eat any of it! Normally, if it was just white potatoes on top, I'm sure he would have. Later that night, Craig and I had a BYU-Idaho Alumni meeting at Marie Calenders and Craig had the idea to get Cade a real piece of Strawberry Cream pie. I gave it to Cade the next day and he liked it much better than my April Fools Pie . . . surprise, surprise! Oh, I also made "chicken nuggets" that were actually slices of bananas with peanut butter spread around them and rolled into graham cracker crumbs. Cade thought these were really chicken nuggets too, but when he found out they weren't really he still ate them! Did anyone else do any fun tricks, etc. for April Fools Day?

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Nope. I'm not too clever with things like that! I heard about that "pie" in Family Fun magazine. That's too funny about Cade's reaction!

Carrie Anne said...

I've always seen these fun ideas in Family Fun but I've never actually done them! I was thinking that maybe next year I'd start the "tricks" for the kids...now that Bee is a bit older. I love your posts...I have so many of the same thoughts.:)

Melissa said...

You are so cute! What fun ideas. Savannah's birthday is April Fool's Day, so we don't really do the jokes thing.

Jenna said...

I had never done much with April Fools since I was a kid...but now you've given me some ideas that I might try next year! How fun!

Becky Mutter said...

The only thing I've ever done was tell someone I was pregnant - and I really was, so they didn't know what to think. Now that you've given me these ideas, I want to try them out on my kids. They would be so shocked!