Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Call me crazy . . .

Last week, during all the crazy rain, I heard that "This is the Place Monument" (a museum/park that is a replica of how things were when the pioneers first settled in Utah) was free to the Public on Thurs. So, I called up my sister in law and asked her if she wanted to take the kids. We decided to go, even though it had been rainy on and off all week and even that morning. Well, it was pretty clear on the way there, and then it started to pour right when we got there! At this point, we were already there, and the kids were excited to be getting outside and using their little character umbrellas, so we stayed! It was very wet and quite the adventure, but the kids didn't seem to mind the rain or the cold at all. Over all it was fun, although I did think to myself that I was crazy a few times that day! One of the times was when Ambree slipped and fell in the mud. She was soaked and wet and I didn't have an extra pair of pants with me, luckily my sister in law had an extra pair for her little boy, and lent them to us! Another time was when we were waiting in line to ride the ponies and it was pouring rain. We were standing in a combination of mud, hay and maybe a little manure and it was really cold. Luckily the ponies were under a shelter, which gave us shelter for a few minutes.

Here are Cade and Ambree on the ZCMI wagon . . .



An attempt at getting a picture of my kids with their cousin Jacob all together . . .



Cade and Ambree were pretty fascinated by the drinking fountain coming out of a big barrel . . .


A train ride . . . we are finally out of the rain!
Jacob, Leila, Danielle, and Ambree . . . Just a little wet.


Dallin (Craig's little brother), Cade, and Me . . .



Even though it was cold and rainy, we had to get our free ice cream cones, which the kids enjoyed very much!





There were a lot more things I wanted to see and do, but it was just too hard in the rain. Hopefully we can go again soon when the weather is a little more cooperative! :)

7 comments:

Rob & Tiffanie said...

Looks like you got a true pioneer experience:) We love going every 24th of July for the fun games, and taffy cannon shoot. FYI-sometimes the taffy is still smoldering when it lands:)

Stacey said...

How fun! We'll have to go up there sometime on a Thursday! Thanks for the tip!

Melissa said...

Goodness, aren't you tired of the rain? Good for you, though, going up there. It's fun...we should go sometime, or at least get together. I can't believe I never see you and you live so close!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I had no idea there was so much to do there. My Grandpa just showed me the statue when we went there.

BallerinaBiker said...

That looks like fun! We've been up there a few times but we've never done all the activites. I'm gonna have to remember Free Thursdays! And, hey, if you want to go swimming this week, I have Friday available! I'm teaching this semester at SLCC - MTTh. So my only free days are WF.

Trenda said...

I don't think it is free every Thurs., it just happened to be free that Thurs. . . Maybe they just do it a few times throughout the year? I am not sure.

Nicole said...

HOw fun, even in the rain. I bet the kids loved it even more in the rain. We love that place too. We go a couple times a year. Christmas time is FABULOUS!! There is a lot to see and do. I love all the pictures, you have such cute kids!